New Member also Mac vs. PC

Nancy Sosna Bohm plum at ulink.net
Mon Aug 20 02:45:57 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
> Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 22:15:58 +1000
> From: "veronica" <froschi at iprimus.com.au>
...> In thinking about the long-suffering image of librarians...our ABC
television news held a pleasant surprise a few months
> ago, when some young,
> vibrant (and dare I say attractive!) librarians in Tasmania were busily
> knitting thermal wear for
> fairy penguins caught in an oil slick.
>
> I wonder to what extent, if at all, IT has re-shaped the librarian
> stereotype?
>
> Veronica Tastl

Veronica,
A paper I wrote for my MLIS includes a discussion of that topic and is still
online at http://www.biermans.com/culminating/bohm1.htm

And please excuse my ignorance, but were these real or cartoon librarians
knitting thermals for "fairy penguins" ??!!?

Now to the "also Mac vs. PC" subject:
I will be starting a new job in a week that includes Web design/redesign for
a smaller college library. There is currently a Mac on the desk where I will
work, but I have been told that I can swap it for a PC if I like (which I
don't particularly "like," but which I intimately know). The Web site is on
a Mac server. As someone who is pretty adaptible, would it be better to
start off in a new job environment with the Mac (with which I have a passing
acquaintance) or to get the familiar PC?

I will be offline during my move after Tuesday, but any replies in the next
2 days will be thoughtfully considered.

TIA
--Nancy B.
plum at ulink.net