[WEB4LIB] RE: why ebooks and when?

Deon Dempsey ddempsey at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Aug 31 21:53:50 EDT 2001

Forgive me, but I've only just arrived at the tale end of the
conversation.  But in response to the comments about fiction
eBooks,  recently  I've heard of Library Science textbooks being offered
for a cost lower than available at University bookstores.

And there are several avenues offering eBooks of the humanities, especially
for those interested in Area Studies.  Usually books of this kind are
rare.  Berkeley, Chicago, and Columbia have been front-runners in offering
access to full-length language materials, dictionaries, etc. materials that
are especially helpful for Area Studies scholars.

Yes, I realize you are really interested in computer science materials, but
like science books, big bucks for publishing houses....I guess those will
be slower at coming around to our way of thinking.

dd

Ms. Deon Dempsey, MLIS
The University of Texas at Austin
Austin, Texas 78713-7330