[WEB4LIB] RE: why ebooks and when?

rich at richardwiggins.com rich at richardwiggins.com
Wed Aug 29 08:56:00 EDT 2001

Here's my rule, which hasn't been revoked by the Palm Pilot or the e-book: computers are for searching, and paper is for reading.  Yes you can read a backlit LCD display in the dark without an Itty Bitty Book Light, but the resolution is still poor.

Todd Mundt on NPR interviewed the founder of Ideo, Bill Moggridge, whose design credits include the first laptop, the Palm V, and one of the first e-books.  He talked about the strengths of e-books in terms of storing vast quantities of titles versus qualities of paper books, making some of the same points as in this thread.  Very interesting interview; worth a listen.

http://toddshow.org/log/dailylistings/08242001.asp

and

http://www.ideo.com/studies/softbook.htm

/rich