[WEB4LIB] sans serif

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Aug 27 14:28:05 EDT 2001

> Hmm, I think I sent this to an individual and not to the list before
> - but I think that anyone who believes in the readability of sans
> serif fonts for large blocks of text should try reading a couple of
> articles on the recently-redesigned Library Journal site
> (http://libraryjournal.reviewsnews.com).
>
> - Rachel

LJ is committing two font-related sins.  First, they specify absolute
point sizes.  Second, they use a lot of Verdana as a text font.  IMO,
Verdana's x-height is so big that it multi-line blocks become unreadable
unless the line-height is increased.

Neither of these problems is inherent in using sans-serif fonts.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu