[WEB4LIB] Re: Chemistry website content change

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Thu Aug 16 13:46:05 EDT 2001

Wednesday, August 15, 2001, 10:22:59 AM, you wrote:

TD> I'm not convinced that the bulk of this activity is from porn companies.
TD> It appears to me that domain name squatters simply slap porn links all
TD> over their newly acquired properties as a way to get the most immediate
TD> reaction from the previous owners.

That is what confirms my statement.  These folks are the ones who
offer the ignorant "free porn" without even having to put in a credit
card number to verify the age, do a three day trial, etc.

How do they do it?  They install a bit of software on your PC.  That
then dials up to the "free porn site" in another country, frequently
Russia, Moldavia, or others in that region. Instead of paying 19.95 a
month for the porn, the poor sucker gets a phone bill for 3 bucks a
minute, paying much more money.  I'm sure we've all heard horror
stories about those who've been burned that way.

Sure, they're happy to get any income from porn.  They're also happy
to get income if you want to buy your domain name back.  Either way,
they make money. I'll bet that the two parts of the business
complement each other very well.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA