[WEB4LIB] RE: outsourcing/consultants for library computer progr amming

Kevil, L H. KevilL at missouri.edu
Mon Apr 2 16:20:02 EDT 2001

Good points, Dan, as usual. There is always money available for what the
administration wants. And, yes, many technical people do not like user
contact. But there are some who do, and our library policies cut them out.
Just this morning my library had a meeting in which the question of the
professional degree required for hiring was discussed. Basically if you do
not have an ALA-accredited library master's degree, you cannot be hired as a
librarian. Exceptions are for foreign library and information studies
degrees only. Graduates of Berkeley's former library school will have to
have their degrees approved on an exceptional basis. People with Master's
degrees in MIS or IT or CS, no matter their libreary experience, need not
apply.

IMHO this kind of exclusionary credentialism does libraries no good. Nor
does it do any good to hire technical people into a secondary (and
necessarily inferior) job classification hierarchy. Technical people need to
be considered librarians just like anyone else. The work they do is very
important and their career paths need to be as open as everyone else's.
Libraries appear to be clinging to an outmoded definition of what a
librarian is and does. Is there any reason a technical person with good
library experience should never be considered to become Head of Technical
Services or even to give bibliographic instruction?

Hunter

L. Hunter Kevil
Collection Development Librarian
176 Elmer Ellis Library