[WEB4LIB] text only sites

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Apr 25 16:17:22 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tana Elias" <telias at scls.lib.wi.us>
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <web4lib at webjunction.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2001 4:06 PM
Subject: [WEB4LIB] text only sites

> Hello.  I'm in the process of planning for a redesign of our site and it
> looks like we'll have to provide text-only access to some of our
> pages.  Are others doing this currently?  If so, I'd like to know if you
> create the alternative text-only pages one by one or if you use a
software
> package or service to strip your pages of bells and whistles so they're
> accessible to all.  Also, do you provide an exact text-only duplicate of
> your site, or only provide text-only for those pages that cause ADA
problems?

The WCAG says that text-only pages should only be used as a last resort.
There aren't many things you can put into an HTML page that really prevent
it from being accessible, if used with care, and all things considered it
should be less work than creating and maintaining alternate pages.  Make
sure you've got your ALT text and NOSCRIPT elements as necessary.  Can you
give URLs for any of the pages people are saying need text-only
alternatives for?

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu