[WEB4LIB] Allowing Downloads

GRAY, PAUL PAUL.GRAY at TCCD.NET
Wed Apr 25 15:03:35 EDT 2001

We permit downloads to their personal disks.

The only drives they can see in the 'SaveAs' box are A: and U: (U: being the
network home directory - which they cannot access from any other stations -
and which we clean out regularly).

We have things pretty well locked down - but they can and do find ways
around it by typing in paths etc.

Policy prohibits saving anything to the local hard drive or the network.
Although to my knowledge none of our librarians have taken any action
against any patron who does so.  They just leave it up to me to clean up the
mess :-)

Paul H. Gray
Library Manager, CLC and LRC LAN
Northeast Campus Library
Hurst, TX
817-515-6623

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Ryan [mailto:tryan at server.silo.lib.ia.us]
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2001 11:21 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Allowing Downloads

We are constantly having problems with patrons downloading files from the
internet to the public terminals.

We currently do not have a policy against downloads, and would like to know
what other librarys do about downloads.

I would like as many responses as I can get.

Thanks,
Tom Ryan
Computer Systems Tech.
Council Bluffs Public Library