[WEB4LIB] Allowing Downloads

stephanie spearman razl00 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 25 12:50:03 EDT 2001

I run a cacls.bat script that puts permissions on the
public workstation OS (which is NT)--patrons are
permitted to download to the temp file or a floppy and
that's it. Same as you can choose to do with Fortress
or Full Armor, etc. Anything that you have to
'download to run' we don't permit due to virus
concerns. I also rely very heavily on the reghack "run
only" which allows ME to choose the executables that
can run on the workstation or in that profile.

Here is a snippet of our internet use policy:

"The library will not tolerate vandalism of property.
This includes, but is not limited to, physical
destruction, software modification, changing computer
settings, and hacking into library computers. These
actions will result in the cancellation of library
computer privileges and may result in criminal
prosecution."

Which, of course, includes ADDING any programs to the
hard drive.

Stephanie Spearman
Electronic Services Librarian
NW GA Regional Library System