[WEB4LIB] session recorder

Jennifer Ward jlward1 at u.washington.edu
Tue Apr 24 16:15:29 EDT 2001

I've used Lotus' ScreenCam software
(http://www.lotus.com/home.nsf/welcome/screencam) for this purpose and it
worked well. The files it creates can be large; you might want to evaluate
it and make sure your hardware can handle the data. Our machines had fairly
small hard drives and I think we maxed out after 30 minutes of testing. Our
workaround involved having the user move to a different machine midway
through the test so we could capture the entire session. Such disruptions
aren't desirable in usability tests, but there was a logical break point in
our script and that's when we shifted.

Searches in Google for "screen recording" or "screen cam" yielded other
possible solutions.

--Jennifer

Jennifer Ward
Library Systems