[WEB4LIB] Re: Does Your Library Use SSL to Protect Patron Dat a?

Mark Ellis mark.ellis at rpl.richmond.bc.ca
Tue Apr 10 15:36:15 EDT 2001

> However, to play devil's advocate...

Mike,

It turns out your client is our patron. ;-)

When patrons fill in the library card application
<http://www.rpl.richmond.bc.ca/libraryonline/>, the data is stored for up to
three weeks in a temporary database after which it is automatically deleted.
During that period the patron must come in and provide ID at which time the
record they've created is assigned a bar code and then uploaded to our ILS.
Wouldn't it be great if everyone had a digital certificate though?

The service benefits are derived from resource reallocation because staff
don't have to re-key the data.  In addition, transcription errors are
eliminated and the full patron record is online right away.

Mark Ellis
Manager, Reference and Information Services
Richmond Public Library
Richmond, B.C.
(604) 231-6410
www.yourlibrary.ca