[WEB4LIB] Does Your Library Use SSL to Protect Patron Data?

Mike Novak prx000 at mail.connect.more.net
Tue Apr 10 13:54:41 EDT 2001

From: "Donna Schumann" <schumann at timberland.lib.wa.us>

> We are in the process of adding a library card application form to our
> web page.

Hmmmm, the response has been interesting regarding SSL.  However, to play
devil's advocate, I'm wondering more about how putting a library card app on
the web would really work -- we require a signature, proof of residency, and
a photo I.D.  How are you going to verify this information on the web?  A
library card is essentially a form of credit.  We employ a collection agency
due to the fact that we have patrons run up hundreds of dollars worth of
fines and charges.  I'm wondering how you'll verify the information
submitted, and how having the form on the web will improve your services...

2 cents,

Mike Novak
Technology Coordinator & Reference Librarian
University City Public Library