PC public configuration

Anne Kaay KaayA at trinitydc.edu
Mon Apr 9 19:28:28 EDT 2001

Hi All,

I'm wondering if there are minimum standards re: library pc's: specifically, what's the recommended hard drive size, RAM, video RAM, bus speed, etc. for computers designated for public use?

Please note that these machines are not running any word processing applications or office-type applications (e.g. MS Access, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).

They are only running a web browser (currently Navigator standalone) and certain plug-ins (e.g. Acrobat - what others would people suggest as standards - Windows Media player? Real Audio? Flash?). Also, they are Windows 95 pc's but we probably will upgrade to Windows NT in the future. Currently, they're 233 MHz Pentium machines with 32 MB RAM, 1.5 GB hard drive...

Thanks in advance!

Anne