There's Still Time To Voice Your Opinion

digiref at loc.gov digiref at loc.gov
Sun Apr 8 16:44:04 EDT 2001

Dear Information Professional:

Two weeks ago, we sent out invitations to you and your colleagues to
participate in an important survey that will be used to guide the future
direction of the Collaborative Digital Reference Service (CDRS). The response
rate has exceeded our expectations and we sincerely appreciate the great input
we have received to date.  If you have already responded to the survey, thank
you for taking time to voice your opinion on the future of e-reference.

If you haven't taken the survey, there's still time for your voice to be
heard.  Please take a few minutes to become part of one of the most exciting
innovations in our industry today.  We would like to hear from everyone so that
we have received information representing the needs of libraries and
organizations of all types, sizes, and locations.  While CDRS remains a free
service during the pilot stage of its evolution, we understand that future
growth will require investment to make CDRS a production-level service.  Our
goal is to build CDRS into a highly valued e-reference service that is
"inclusive" ... welcoming members from around the world of all types and sizes.

We need your help to understand the best approach to meeting our goal.  The
survey is completely confidential and requires only 10 minutes to complete.
The survey asks your opinion on the importance of various e-reference features
and the value (price) of e-reference services to your organization.

To participate in the survey, you should meet the following two criteria:
-- 1) You purchase or influence the purchase of online knowledge-based services
for your organization (e.g., online database subscriptions, e-journals)
-- 2) You are familiar with the current prices of online knowledge-based
services.

All of the information you need to take the survey is included online.
However, we have also included a description of CDRS and proposed options below
for your easy reference.  You may find it useful to access this information
when taking the survey.  To take the survey, simply point your browser to the
following URL.  You must have a browser that supports Java to take the survey
(recent browser versions are Java enabled).  Please check your browser settings
to ensure that the Java option is enabled before taking the survey.  The survey
URL is:

http://www.speakout.com/coop/library/

Please note:  A small number of survey participants using Apple Macintosh
computers or some versions of Netscape Navigator have reported technical
difficulties.  If you have technical difficulties taking the survey, please
send an email to CDRSsurvey at synfusion.com with your name, organization, and fax
number to receive a print version of the survey.  If you have Microsoft Word,
we will be glad to email you a copy of the survey as a file attachment.

Time is running out, so please take the survey today.  Your input is greatly
appreciated and will be very helpful to the planning of this unique and
exciting service that combines the best of librarianship with the best
technology on behalf of users everywhere.  Thank you in advance for your
participation.

Diane Nester Kresh
Director Public Service Collections and Project Director of CDRS
The Library of Congress

P.S.  Watch for upcoming announcements on CDRS interactive sessions at the June
session of ALA in San Francisco!

Description of CDRS and Proposed Options

CDRS provides the following basic e-reference services to your library over the
Internet:

-- Submit reference questions through a Web-based form and review responses
(e.g., bibliographic citations, answers) on a Web-based report
-- Select a deadline and targeted education/age level for each reference
request
-- Select the method of delivery (e.g., e-mail, URL, postal mail, fax) and
routing (e.g., direct to library, direct to patron with library notification)
for responses to each request
-- Create, maintain, and control profile information (e.g., name, address,
e-mail address, collection strengths) of your organization and its staff using
Web-based forms

Option #1:  Content Delivery

In addition to the basic e-reference services of CDRS, this value-added option
provides the following additional services:

-- Receive or access digital media (e.g., text, picture, video, or sound files)
as part of the response (document delivery)
-- Access inter-library loan (ILL) services that enable patrons to request
items not available at your library
-- Access e-commerce services that enable patrons to purchase items not
available at your library

Options #2:  Member Web Site

In addition to the basic e-reference services of CDRS, this value-added option
provides the following additional services:

-- Access detailed information on the innovation and standardization of
e-reference best practices, including online webcasts and chats with leaders in
the field
-- Access detailed information on CDRS, including alerts, discussion topics,
upcoming events, and membership and system statistics
-- Access online tools that support problem-solving, innovation, and
collaboration on e-reference issues with other members
-- Customize and access a personalized Web page that aggregates and organizes
the above information according to your interests and needs