[WEB4LIB] Re: Web site traffic software (ODBC with perl vs. asp)

Mark Pecaut pecautm at missouri.edu
Wed Apr 4 15:01:56 EDT 2001

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 11:46:29AM -0700, Dobbs, Aaron wrote:
> Perhaps my understanding of Perl is off, but I believe Perl will recognize
> and interact with ODBC objects.  My understanding is that .asp (server side

You are right about that.  Actually ASP will work with many different
scripting languages, such as vbscript, javascript (server-side), and perl.
The reason I am re-writing it are long-winded, but the short story is that
we were using perl to log clickthrough information in a flat file.   We are
now going to do it the Right Way [tm] and put it in a database.  The sad
part is that from the user's perspective, logging to a flat file is faster
(very slightly).  The happy part is that building reports from the data
is now as easy as SQL.

> vbscripting) is not the only way to work with Access.  Any object oriented
> language can work with ODBC objects, ie: C*, php/python, Perl(I think), VB,
> etc can be used to interface with the DB object (in your case an Access Db)

I am pretty sure you are correct.  In fact, I believe PHP claims that
their connection to MSSQL is faster than ASP's connection!  However, I
am getting off on a tangent.