converting HTML to XHTML

Heather Samuels blueskies88 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 1 21:54:17 EDT 2001

Our library recently exported an Excel table to HTML and posted it to our
Web site.  The table is a huge document and contains a ton of HTML coding,
which, unfortunately, results in lengthy downloading time.  To speed up
downloading time, we need to decrease the amount of HTML coding the table
contains.  One idea was to convert the HTML coding to XHTML.  Thus, many of
the table tags would be eliminated and replaced by style sheet instructions.
  Is there a program that can convert HTML to XHTML?  If so, would it
replace HTML coding (for tables) into style sheet instructions?  Thanks.

Heather
blueskies88 at hotmail.com