[WEB4LIB] outsourcing/consultants for library computer programming

Lori Bowen Ayre LBAyre at galecia.com
Sun Apr 1 15:39:34 EDT 2001

I agree with you when you say ".. the next steps in delivering libraries
thorugh the web have to do with integrating and customizing systems. To
accomplish these steps, we
need programmers..."  The problem is the pay programmers can command is way
out of line with what libraries are able to pay.  My observation has been
that library salaries for technical staff are easily 1/3 less than what
those folks can earn in the business world.

As a technology consultant who prefers to service the library community, it
puts me in a difficult spot because I have a hard time providing the
engineering talent my customers need at a price they can manage.  Still,
short of dramatically increasing salaries for library technical staff or
focusing recruiting efforts on truly committed library technologists who
won't mind the discrepancy in their earning power, what else can be done?

Lori Bowen Ayre
Library Technology Consultant
The Galecia Group
LBAyre at galecia.com