Impact of statewide database deals?

Sloan, Bernie bernies at uillinois.edu
Fri Apr 20 16:20:14 EDT 2001

It's becoming relatively common lately for a state to provide central
funding for access to full text databases for all the state's residents.
Programs like LiLI in Idaho (http://www.lili.org/), Pioneer in Utah
(http://pioneer.lib.ut.us/), Indiana's Inspire
(http://www.inspire-indiana.net/), and the Kentucky Virtual Library
(http://www.kyvl.org/) are just a few examples of such programs. Other
programs offer widespread access to a segment of a state's library
community, e.g., the Illinois Digital Academic Library
(http://www.idal.illinois.edu/) offers centrally funded full text databases
to faculty, staff and students at 150 Illinois colleges and universities.

Projects like these have been going on for a number of years now, and I am
curious about how the availablity of such "free" full text resources has
impacted local library electronic resource selection, and how it has
impacted the way full text database aggregators do business.

I'd really be interested in hearing from librarians and vendors about how
the availablity of "free" full text resources has changed the electronic
resources landscape.

Thanks!

Bernie Sloan
Senior Library Information Systems Consultant
University of Illinois Office for Planning and Budgeting
338 Henry Administration Building
506 S. Wright Street
Urbana, IL  61801
Phone: (217) 333-4895