[WEB4LIB] Re: odd URL

Suzanne Reymer sreymer at uswest.net
Thu Apr 19 19:03:45 EDT 2001

Matav is the Hungarian phone company.  Before you get too impressed with my
Hungarian prowess, I must confess that I merely clicked on the English option
provided.  Apparently, they're fairly liberal about what type of sites they'll host, or
perhaps they're just unaware.

Suzanne

4/19/01 4:13:18 PM, "Daniel Messer" <dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us> wrote:

>Brad Thomas <bradzo at ozemail.com.au> said:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I received a message the other day from a friend that had this link sent to
>> him in an email. The email came from a site thanking him for sending the
>> site some pornography - (even though he didn't). He asked my advice on
what
>> it did, but I don't have a clue....
>>
>> Please don't try the URL - I'm not sure of what it does - please read
>> on......
>>
>> http://3286560814/uzlet/just99/r_l.html
>>
>> It didn't work when I tried it either, but my ISP's cache returned the
>> following error:

>> The following error was encountered:
>> Unable to determine IP address from host name for 3286560814.nt.com.au
>>
>> The original URL does not have the nt.com.au bit !!
>> What concerns me is that I am running Windows NT, and I live in Australia
>> (the nt and au parts) ......
>> So why did the cache return the nt.com.au bit?
>> What could the original URL have possibly achieved?
>>
>> Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
>>

>I ran a simple tracert scan on the number and it came back that it was
>tracing a route to business.matav.hu Checking that address in a browser
came
>back with a 404 error. However, there is a Matav.hu at www.matav.hu
However
>it's not in English and I'm not sure what language it is. Certainly it's not
>one I speak.
>
>HOWEVER, if you enter www.matav.hu/uzlet/just99/r_l.html you get
redirected
>to a porn site.
>
>Hope that helps!
>
>Dan
>--
>Mondai wa
>The subject in question...
>-------------
>Daniel Messer
>Technologies Instructor
>Yakima Valley Regional Library
>dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
>509-452-8541 ext 712
>102 N 3rd St  Yakima, WA  98901
>-----------
>When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
>                                         -Hunter S. Thompson

**************************************
Suzanne Reymer
Statewide Technology Librarian