[WEB4LIB] RE: CSS-2 question

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Thu Apr 19 10:18:00 EDT 2001

Jeffrey Zeldman showed how they were able to address the issue of browsers
that were not compliant with CSS.  You can see the "fix" here:

http://www.alistapart.com/stories/journey/5.html

What they ended up doing is referencing the stylesheet in a way that only
CSS-2 compliant browsers would recognize the stylesheet.   If a browser that
doesn't support CSS or does it poorly, like Netscape 4, comes to the page, it
doesn't "see" the stylesheet and renders the page in "pure" HTML.  Now, if you
haven't used HTML-hacks to create your page, your non-compliant visitors
should still see your information in a coherent way.   It just won't be as
"pretty" as if they had a CSS-compliant browser.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Wateford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI