Wireless

David Johnson davidcj at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 30 09:26:19 EDT 2001

MIT DOES  already have wireless access in the main reading room of one of
our five major divisional libraries, the Sloan School of Management's Dewey
Library.   We expect to have wireless access in all five major libraries by
the fall of 2001.     The Institute as a whole is installing it in many
areas other than libraries, (maybe even eating places).  This means that
the cost is negligible to the libraries.

We have nothing to report on the downside so far, although our installation
is less than six months operational.

NOW here is my two cents worth.   We have wireless in our large storage
building for infrequently needed items, (some 400,000 "retrospective
collection" items in a cavernous warehouse building of five floors). The
building is located approximately three blocks from the main campus.  We
installed one or two Apple Airports  on each floor and get very good
results.   This is a time saver for staff who can now be  on-line while
working the shelves in these stacks.  I installed the orinoco wireless
cards on PC type Dell laptops and see almost universal coverage throughout
the metal shelved, steel reinforced building of approximately 25, 000 sq.
ft. per each of five floors.   The time saver factor, being able to get
email requests while on the stack floors and respond before returning the
book truck to the delivery dock will more than pay for the cost in the
first year.   We can also do what we could NOT do with cell phones, namely
with the Airport, literally "talk" to each other with instant messaging
from one PC laptop to any other computer  on the domain.  We could
literally have a circulation or reference staff request a book from storage
and get it back to the right library within an hour if we wanted to arrange
services that way.

For a remote storage facility with few network jacks, and few power
outlets, a battery laptop and wireless is almost ideal.

Although the focus of most wireless installations is largely upon patron
access to services, be sure to consider how this may make your staff have
an easier time of it in the stacks or anywhere.   Installation of the
wireless card was a 10 minute job, and the cards work all over
campus,  making it easy to transfer staff and have them take their computer
WITH THEM, rather than re-configuring two desktops with each staf change,
backing up files, etc, etc.  If we put wireless services in processing and
cataloging and acquisitions office areas, making staff transfers and
promotions would be easier to manage from a computer management
perspective, because moving bodies and computers around becomes almost a
"do it yourself" activity, using wireless cards and DHCP  ("leased" IP
address assignments).

I would be happy to hear any comments to the NEGATIVE before we at MIT move
to my wireless "fantasy", for most staff computers, maybe in a year or so.

David Johnson
Library Technology Consultant
MIT Libraries.