CD-Writable question

David Johnson davidcj at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 12 16:22:17 EDT 2001

This is a very thoughtful question!

We have several libraries at MIT where database abstractions, reports, and
other detailed materials are more and more available to our patrons.

This is an interesting concept and I fully support any means to getting
patrons to where they want to be, however, I am wondering if we would be
flooded with folks doing music CD copies or software CD copies on our CD
-RW burner.   Would we have to somehow write code to prevent that?   Would
we be liable to Micro -$oft for ripped off software CD copies that show up
in someone's office and is traceable somehow to our CD-RW burners?   I
don't see the immediate probability of a "traceable" CD copy, but I wonder
when it will come about.

So far, I know our Music Library has many CD's that are copy-able without
any problem (many with little or no encryption to break) from original
publisher's music CD's to a blank CD-R disk costing at most fifty cents.
Multiply your musical interests by say 100 CD music albums and you have
spent $50 to get a collection of 100 CD's, all as good as the
original.  This technology practically invites students (or others) to buy
a burner between them and copy any and all music they want to for a
combined cost of under $60 each for a sizeable collection of CD's.    So
why should the libraries make it even easier (and so much cheaper) for
students or others to rip off the music publishing industry?  I think we
will take a pass on this one, and let students do what they want for a
while.

At this point, only a few staff have access to these within the libraries
at MIT.  Students and Faculty will have to buy their own burners so we wont
get sued.

We DO have a few ZIP drives for patrons, (100 MB of data copying is enough
for now, I guess.)

I don't know any really good answers.

Can anyone else add to the discussion?

David Johnson