[WEB4LIB] RE: CD-Writable question

Mike Novak prx000 at mail.connect.more.net
Wed Apr 11 14:19:05 EDT 2001

From: "Dennis Brantley" <dennis at dati.com>

> I use a Yamaha 4416 CD-RW with Adaptec Easy CD Creator.  No formatting
> is necessary.  Erasing takes a minute or so, but if the user provides
> (or buys) the media, erasing should not be an issue.

But a "blank" CD-RW does need to be formatted to UDF for use with DirectCD,
which allows "drag and drop" file saving.  Otherwise, as another poster
pointed out, a user would have to save files to a hard drive, then copy them
over to CD with Easy CD Creator or the like.

We actually only have one Internet machine with drive access (both floppy
and Zip).  Our other machines are iPAQ's and don't have floppies or CD-Roms
(I have a hot-pluggable CD drive for installs).   We actually have very
little call for disk saves at all.  But mind you these are Internet-only
PCs -- no word processing, etc.

Mike Novak
Technology Coordinator & Reference Librarian
University City Public Library