FW: [WEB4LIB] RE: outsourcing/consultants for library computer pr ogr

Kevil, L H. KevilL at missouri.edu
Tue Apr 3 09:58:28 EDT 2001

Thanks, Jennifer. What conclusion do you draw from this experience? Many
years ago my library had a head of technical services who was neither
technical nor a librarian. She did not last long because of her horrible
management practices.

The 'moral' seems to me to be that our goal should be a meeting of minds,
with technical people and librarians as equals instructing each other in
what the other knows little or nothing about and a willingness on both sides
to learn how to become effective managers. From my perspective there is
plenty enough wrong with the 'librarian' way of doing things that we should
be very open to bringing bright new minds into the profession.

Hunter

L. Hunter Kevil
Collection Development Librarian
176 Elmer Ellis Library