[WEB4LIB] RE: Meta-Search engines

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Thu Sep 28 09:45:25 EDT 2000

I'm another interested party in this discussion. It seems to me that
it's fair call SFX a proprietary product, even though it's
commendably based on an open specification, OpenURL. Ex Libris should
be commended for developing interoperable products, but if we called
anything with an open API "non-proprietary" then we'd have to call
both Windows and Mac Operating systems "non-proprietary" too.

Herbert van de Sompel has done an excellent job of documenting the
open linking syntax underlying SFX. We've developed OpenURL-
compatible systems without much difficulty, which is the real proof
of the pudding. The only aspect we've noted where Ex-Libris could do
a better job of being non-proprietary is the absence of a public
vendor ID list.

We're positioning our LinkBaton redirection system as a secure
alternative to the "CookiePusher" mentioned in the OpenURL proposal.
LinkBaton, like SFX, is "proprietary", but based on open linking
interfaces, including OpenURL, and it works well with SFX.

Something like Jake (http://jake.med.yale.edu/), on the other hand,
is REALLY a non-proprietary system.

Eric

Eric Hellman