[WEB4LIB] Re: Converting FrontPage 2000 to DreamWeaver 3

glen.davies at cce.ac.nz glen.davies at cce.ac.nz
Wed Sep 27 16:37:58 EDT 2000

Hi

I've just opened up some FrontPage web pages in Dreamweaver
and  they display fine, even without running them through tidy first.

What won't convert to Dreamweaver is the FrontPage site
management functionality. There are comments scattered through
FrontPage HTML such as <!--webbot bot="PurpleText" -->, <!--
mstheme-->, <!--msnavigation--> which enable it to make site wide
changes such as changes in navigation bars, theme changes, etc.
and this won't transfer to Dreamweaver. You certainly wouldn't have
to start from scratch, you could do what Thomas suggested to
clean up the html and then start working with it in Dreamweaver,
you just won't have the same ability to make site wide changes
that you had in FrontPage.

If you wanted that functionality in Dreamweaver you could recreate
your pages using Dreamweaver's templates, which I wouldn't
actually recommend as you again lock yourself into a proprietary
format (lots of comments like <!-- #BeginEditable "doctitle" --> get
scattered throughout the html). You can achieve the same thing,
that is the ability to easily make site wide changes, with server
side includes and style sheets which will transfer much easier
between site management packages.

Regards
Glen