[WEB4LIB] Re: More on Wireless Librarian

Jim Barrentine jkb at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 27 11:54:16 EDT 2000

At 08:41 AM 09/27/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Besides the wireless nic card and the infrared signal port within the
>laptop, one will also have to install what is known as wireless "airports"
>within the building walls.  These airports are nothing more than infrared
>repeaters (they bounce the infrared signals within the various floors inside
>the building) that keep the wireless network signals steady.

I am sure that this post will confuse some so I will try to "unconfuse".

The wireless communication in previous post referred to 2.4GHz radio
frequency, NOT infrared.  There is a wireless infrared standard (laptops
use it to connect to printers) but the range is only a couple of feet, it
will definitely not go through walls and the speed is much less than the 11
Mbps available with the 2.4Ghz RF.  The term "airport" is incorrect.  All
manufacturers refer to the fixed devices as access points.  Also they are
not necessarily installed in "building walls", in fact I have never seen
them so installed.  They are usually installed above dropped ceilings with
the antennas protruding through the ceiling tiles.

James K. Barrentine
Information Partners, Inc.
Technology Solutions for Libraries
2697 Euclid Hts. Blvd.  Suite 3