securing Windows 2000 machines

Orsborn, John jo6 at evansville.edu
Mon Sep 11 11:21:02 EDT 2000

	I am looking for information on creating secure public use PCs.
While I have a small understanding of security, it is limited.  Our current
computers were set up by a student who was let go before he documented how
he created them.  The other technical people don't know how he created some
of the security on the computers.  I have looked through the Web4lib
archives and found some good security information regarding locking down
public PCs.  However, we are going to be getting new computers as well as
moving our older ones from Windows NT to 2000, and I am looking to create
secure computers without having to purchase security software.  I am looking
for any ideas regarding these areas:

--Locking out the C drive.

--Hiding all the desktop Icons

--Creating a Public User profile

--If possible, stopping the use of chat rooms.

	Any additonal ideas or information would be greatly appreciated.
Please respond to my e-mail at:
		jo6 at evansville.edu  Thanks.  John D. Orsborn