[WEB4LIB] RE: bug with IE5 upgrades and PDF files

Wes Edens EDENSW at t-bird.edu
Thu Sep 7 17:56:15 EDT 2000

When nppdf32.dll is NOT in the folder, we CAN pull up PDF files from certain databases:  EbscoHost and files on our own servers, for example, but not from others.  Copy nppdf32.dll into the plugins folder, and we can pull PDF files from all sources.  Yes, the same machine will pull PDF files from EbscoHost but not from ProQuest, without the nppdf32.dll file in the plugins folder.
Our students HAVE Adobe Acrobat installed.   WE have Adobe Acrobat installed on every machine.  This is NOT the issue.
We may get around this by telling our users to upgrade their systems to IE 5.5, or use Netscape.

Wes Edens
Electronic Resources Librarian
Int'l Business Information Centre
Am. Grad. School of Int'l Mgt. (Thunderbird)
Glendale, AZ
(602) 978 7897
Fax:  (602) 978 7407
edensw at t-bird.edu

>>> "Pecaut, Mark J." <PecautM at missouri.edu> 09/07/00 02:44PM >>>
Adobe Acrobat is not part of IE5.  If a web site sends a file, ANY file, to
your browser (IE5 in your case), your browser has to know how to deal with
it.  If it is a PDF, IE5 needs to have an action associated with that file
extension.  A plugin is necessary if you want the pdf displayed in the
browser window.  This plug-in, nppdf32.dll, needs to be placed in the proper
plugin folder so IE5 can deal with it properly.  This is not a server-side
issue, it is a client-side issue.

incidentally, adobe has articles about this:
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/78c6.htm
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/98fe.htm

I am having trouble understanding what you mean when you say you are not
having this problem with all databases.  Do you mean at one website Acrobat
launches properly and at another it does not?  On the same machine?  If it
doesn't launch, what does happen?  What are the specific error messages?

I don't think there is anything ProQuest or Gale Group can do to fix this.
I don't think you need to worry too much about your students and faculty
members, short of telling them to install Adobe Acrobat and refer them to
the help pages at Adobe's site (see links above), unless you plan on doing
computer support for all of them.  If they don't have their browser
configured properly, they won't be able to view web pages.  If they don't
have their operating system configured properly, they won't be able to get
on the internet.  And if they don't have their browser plugins and Acrobat
configured properly, they won't see PDF files.  I don't think it is your
problem.

-Mark