Internet Explorer question - clarification

peterson, glenn gpeterson at hclib.org
Fri Oct 27 11:46:26 EDT 2000

For our kids computers, which include a cul-de-sac option, we created a
second web server instance listening on a non-standard port (we use 8080).
We point our proxy for sites outside the cul-de-sac to this server -- we use
an automatic proxy configuration file. Then we created a custom web page to
explain why the page was not accessed and saved it as the default page, or
home page, on this server. When patrons try to access a site outside the
cul-de-sac, they see the custom web page. We also turned off "Show friendly
HTTP error messages" in Tools/Internet Options/Advanced/Browsing.

                    Hennepin County Library
Glenn Peterson                gpeterson at hclib.org
Internet Librarian                http://www.hclib.org
12601 Ridgedale Drive         Voice: 952-694-8659
Minnetonka, MN 55305          Fax: 952-541-7984