Windows 2000 and software

ref1 matthewm at prescottlib.lib.az.us
Thu Oct 26 19:23:29 EDT 2000

Hello,

I am configuring 35 new Windows 2000 computers (dell computers 15 with
256 ram  and 20 with 128 ram).  I have nine seperate logins on each
machine for various staff and patron access and I have encountered some
software issues:

1.  I'm using Winselect 5.0 (terrific product) to control patron
fiddling on our browsers...the problem is that no matter who logs into
the computer (staff, patron, administrator), Winselect runs, forcing
staff members to log onto the Winselect program and disable it for that
session.  Each time the computer is re-booted Winselect is back on.

Are there any ways to resolve this problem so that Winslect will only
run when certain users log on?

2.  Netscape Navigator will not run unless an Administrator is logged
on...in other words when a restricted user (staff or patron) tries to
use it it will not run.  If I use the Registry Editor I can effectively
loosen up the security on Netscape so that it will run, but I don't like
to do this for fear of creating new issues.

Has anybody else enountered this issue?  Been able to work around it?

3.   Filtering software:  are  there any that will run on Windows 2000
effectively?  I'm not talking about server software, but software to
load on individual machines.  Cyber Sitter has no error or redirect
screen, Cyber Patrol isn't Windows 2000 ready, and I haven't been
satisified with the other two or three I've tried (freeze up the
machine, strange messages, etc.).

Anybody have any favorites?

Thanks in adavnce,

Matthew Mangelsdorf