customization is a double-edged sword

Marilyn Harhai mharhai at mail.barry.edu
Fri Oct 20 11:56:25 EDT 2000

Text I found re N.C. law (notice the exceptions):

N.C. Gen. Stat. § 125-19 (1999)

§ 125-19. Confidentiality of library user records

(a) Disclosure. -- A library shall not disclose any library record that
identifies a person

as having requested or obtained specific materials, information, or
services, or as

otherwise having used the library, except as provided for in subsection (b).

(b) Exceptions. -- Library records may be disclosed in the following
instances:

(1) When necessary for the reasonable operation of the library;

(2) Upon written consent of the user; or

(3) Pursuant to subpoena, court order, or where otherwise required by law.

HISTORY: 1985, c. 486, s. 2.

(end law)

If user profile in terms of this discussion means what the customer (patron)
has

borrowed (bought), the fight over its protection is already being waged, not
by

libraries but by bookstores. The American Booksellers Association

has undertaken paying the majority of legal bills concerning

First Amendment issues with bookstores (such as Kramerbook's legal battle
over

Ken Starr's subpoena to get Monica Lewinsky's purchase records and Tattered

Cover's current litigation with the federal Drug Enforcement Agency over
customer records).

How cases like these are decided will impact on the confidentiality of
library

records.

I personally believe libraries will have to get involved with push
technology.

Marilyn Harhai

mharhai at mail.barry.edu

(new member of the list)

Professor Marilyn Harhai, M.L.S., J.D.
Barry University School of Law Library
6441 East Colonial Drive
Orlando, FL  32807
Phone - (407) 275-2000 x274    Fax - (407) 275-6142
E-Mail - mharhai at mail.barry.edu