[WEB4LIB] Re: browser problem

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Fri Oct 13 01:12:40 EDT 2000

At 12:49 PM -0700 10/12/00, Roy Tennant wrote:
>At 11:58 AM -0700 10/12/00, LeAnn Weller wrote:
>>I have a Gateway 2000 4DX2-66 with 32MB RAM and Windows 3.1 that will not run
>..
>
>Spend $400 and get something that will run software newer than an
>eight-year-old operating system:
>
>http://www.cc-inc.com/pcmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=47835
>
>or, if you can't afford that, visit one of the many used computer
>stores or web sites and spend less. I'm sorry, but any college that
>says it is "Academically demanding" can spend enough money to keep
>its librarians out of the Dark Ages. And you can quote me.
>Roy

As someone rightly pointed out privately, my response to this
question was cruel. A technical question deserves a technical answer,
not a lecture (to paraphrase the response I got). Upon
reconsideration, I agree. It was an arrogant and smug response to an
honest question that deserved better. LeAnn, please accept my apology
for being cruel and insensitive.

I also realized too late that poorly considered responses such as
this one are likely to discourage first-time posters from wading into
the fray, and discouraging people from posting to the list is one of
the worst things that a list moderator can do. Mea culpa.

I would nonetheless like to extract the kernel of truth that my
abrupt answer contained, and rephrase it. The amount of time you will
take to try to track down what is clearly an elusive problem (any
failure that is not consistent is difficult to nail), will almost
certainly end up costing your institution more than if you simply
upgraded your hardware (which would not only solve the immediate
problem but would also make you much more productive). If you are
unable to upgrade at this time, then the best advice I can give you
is to attempt to document the conditions under which the failure
occurs to try to detect a pattern in the failure. Beyond that, I
appeal to any Windows 3.1 gurus who may have other ideas.

Finally, I would like to say to any "lurkers" out there, that it is I
who came away damaged from this exchange, not LeAnn, who simply asked
a reasonable question and was met with an insulting answer. I
sincerely hope that I have not done anything to discourage you from
asking your question, when the time comes.
Roy