[WEB4LIB] Re: FW: counting use of resources

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Oct 12 14:12:50 EDT 2000

> And therein lies my real problem, perhaps.  It would be interesting to
survey
> Web4Lib and find out how many of us have complete control over our own
servers,
> how many of us rely on a central IT department which serves other
masters, and
> how many have outsourced servers with ISPs.  Anyone willing to take that
one on?

Not I.  But one of the various manifestos I'm always on the verge of
writing is "You're not doing real web mastering until..." where bullet
points would include: you have complete read-access to the raw web server
logs; you have permission to use your choice of CGI/PHP/SSI/ASP as long as
it's supported on your server; you know in advance, and are invited to
comment on, any changes to the server platform; and you can write a
.htaccess file (or its equivalent on non-Apache servers), subject to
reasonable security precautions.  If I didn't have all of those, I'd kick
and scream until I got it.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu