[WEB4LIB] Re: browser back button

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Oct 12 10:12:12 EDT 2000

> Thanks to those of you who responded to this.  I wanted to make it
> clear, the reason why I asked this.  Our new college home page has
> this obnoxious feature and I mentioned it to the person from
> development in charge.  The college hired a design firm for our new
> college web site and I wanted to double check that it was indeed
> something in the code or creation of the page.  Incidentally, I am
> also the person who brought up the "splash" page concept a few weeks
> back and our development staff was not willing to create a custom
> template for the library to use on all of our pages so, we will have
> to use this "splash page" concept.  I find it very sad but will try to
> make the best of it to advertise our news and events and a big link to
> enter the library website.  I can only ponder what other major changes
> in the near future will be forced upon us!

So, your campus' home page consists entirely of a redirect from
/default.htm to /index.html.  I'm sorry to be blunt, but your web people
need a clue, and a good book on IIS.  Last time I looked, it was pure d
simple to have IIS look for any default file name(s) you wanted.

Thomas ("Chapter 1: Upgrading to Apache...") Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu