Default search engine for IE Search Button

Robert Sullivan SCP_SULLI at sals.edu
Fri Oct 6 12:47:07 EDT 2000

>I want to change the default search engine for the IE 5 search button.  I
>want to make it the Librarian's Index to the Internet (http://lii.org/).  It
>is not listed as one the engines I can select in the list.  Is there a way
>to edit the list or to just bypass the list?  We like LII because the sites
>are evaluated and added by librarians (collection development).

In IE 3.02, this was available through the menus.  Now you have to edit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search

This Registry key has two values, CustomizeSearch and Search Assistant, which
we set to the same page.  We grew weary of the pages changing whenever
Microsoft struck a deal with someone new, sometimes requiring downloading a
software update (a pain on secured computers).

The disadvantage, if you find it so, is that your chosen site will only have
half the screen and links won't open in the larger window.  That may not be a
problem for you.

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org