problems with Yahoo/Yahoomail

Anna Loan-Wilsey Anna_Wilsey at tamu-commerce.edu
Wed Oct 4 14:50:27 EDT 2000

Hi all,

In just the past few days we have had many complaints about accessing Yahoo
and Yahoo mail.  The first problem is when you click on a link that goes to
an actual website, it gives the "can't load page" message and the URL that
appears looks like:

http://srd.yahoo.com/drst/189776/*http://www.anchoragepress.com/

If you delete the asterisk and everything to the left of it, you will get
the actual URL that works.  Often times you can't even get this far because
the srd.yahoo.com server cannot be located.

The second problem is that Yahoo mail will not load at all.  If you look at
the link you will either get http://mail.yahoo.com or www.yahoo.com/r/m1
(neither loads).  I have seen these problems using  both IE 5.5 and
Netscape Communicator 4.75. As a test, I did uninstall Netscape and then
could get into Yahoo mail.  We have a mix of 95/98/NT machines.

Anyone else having these problems?  Any ideas?  Is it something on the
server side or is it just us??

Thanks,

Anna Loan-Wilsey
Systems Librarian