[WEB4LIB] Internet access policy screen

pverhagen at sapl.ab.ca pverhagen at sapl.ab.ca
Thu Nov 30 18:19:28 EST 2000

WoW! (Works well in Mozilla M18, BTW - only the coloured title
bar shows) That works great! Did you use any programming
language for that? If so, care to release the source?

A quick and dirty fix for the "bars" in Netscape, is to put Netscape
into "kiosk" mode before it even loads. To do that, all you have to
do is add a "-k" (/wout the quotes) to the shortcut that you use to
start Netscape up. The "-sk" puts Netscape into what they called
"SuperKiosk" or completely chromeless mode that completely
takes out the titlebar. When the individual clicks on the "I accept"
button, use a javascript trick to either re-instate or open a new
window with the Location/Button toolbars, and your set.

One of the nice side affects of using netscape in kiosk mode is
kiosk mode disables the right mouse button in navigator, preventing
things like "Set as Wallpaper" and "open link in new window".

Although Netscape is able to use javascript to re-instate the the
toolbars, my personal experience with IE4+ in kiosk mode does
not create the toolbars when a new window is opened.

The current working (but not perfect) example for the St. Albert
Public Library policy page can be found here:

http://www.sapl.ab.ca/AdServ/Policy/Internet.html

Peter Verhagen

On 30 Nov 2000, at 13:16, Catherine Buck Morgan wrote:

> I've created an internet access policy screen, (thanks to the help of
> Christine Price!). The screen works perfectly in IE, but not in
> Netscape. In IE, when the Internet Access Policy page opens up, it
> totally covers the desktop, and there are no toolbars, etc., showing.
> One clicks the I Accept button to access the internet, and a new
> browser window opens up.
>
> However, in Netscape, you can still see the title bar of the browser,
> which has the minimize, restore buttons in the upper right corner, as
> well as the desktop taskbar at the bottom of the desktop. I'd really
> like it to behave like IE.
>
> Unfortunately, Netscape is the browser of choice for the public
> machines (Pentium 1s with WIN95 and Fortress 3.0), because Fortress
> won't let IE's toolbar display. (If there's a fix for this, I'd like
> to hear it!)
>
> Any ideas on how I can get my pages to work in Netscape like they do
> in IE?
>
> Here's the URL to demonstrate the problem. NOTE!!! Because the page
> takes over the desktop in IE, you either have to CTRL-ALT-DEL out of
> the page, or scroll to the very bottom and click in the text box on
> the left hand side (which I'm hoping the patrons will ignore).
>
> http://www.state.sc.us/scsl/catherine/entryaccess.htm
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Catherine Buck Morgan
> Automation Librarian
> South Carolina State Library
> EMAIL: catherine at leo.scsl.state.sc.us
> Phone: 803.734.8651 Fax 803.734.4757
> Home page: http://www.state.sc.us/scsl/
> Web catalog: http://www.state.sc.us/scsl/scslweb/welcome.html
>
> The opinions stated herein are not necessarily those of SCSL.

Peter Verhagen
Library Systems Administrator
St. Albert Public Library
St. Albert Place