[WEB4LIB] Re: CueCat -- Any Progress?

Drew, Bill drewwe at snymorva.morrisville.EDU
Tue Nov 28 16:50:27 EST 2000

> Every hacker Digital Convergence knows about
>got a cease
>and desist order in the mail.

I find it quite ironic that Radio Shack is distributing these things and
that Digital Convergence is going after hackers of the device.  Radio Shack
started as a place for electronics hobbyists to buy parts to build radios
and such.  I was such a hobbyist many years ago.  The intellectual
descendants of those hobbyists are the ones hacking the cat reader.  Of
course the hobbyist of many years ago would be quite upset to go into Radio
Shack and try to find anyone that really knows anything about real
electronics anymore.  I was in the Radio Shack in Cortland, NY last week
trying to find a terminal block for a second phone line we just had
installed at home.  The three sales people there had no idea what I was
after.  I had to show it to them in the catalog before we could locate it in
the store.

___________________
Wilfred (Bill) Drew
Associate Librarian, Systems and Reference
SUNY Morrisville College Library
drewwe at morrisville.edu <mailto:drewwe at morrisville.edu>
Home: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/
Not Just Cows: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/
Library: http://www.morrisville.edu/library/
Wireless Librarian Experience: http://wirelesslibrarians.blogspot.com/
<http://wirelesslibrarians.blogspot.com/>
Have Laptop -- Will Travel.

"George Dubya Bush was asked if he knew the historical importance of Roe vs.
Wade, and he explained that was the decision faced by George Washington when
he crossed the Delaware."