Scholarly Web Conferences

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Fri Nov 24 14:06:24 EST 2000

                          _Scholarly Web Conferences_

   I am greatly interested in identifying a directory of *scholarly* web conferences and/or the names and addresses of individual Web conferences by any and all  professional organizations  or societies, but preferably in the sciences and technical disciplines.

  I am interested in Web conferences that can be attended by professionals in place of attending (or as an alternative to attending) a *professional* conference, symposia, seminar, etc. for scholarly purposes, i.e. a 'virtual' conference.

 [ I am NOT interested in the use of Web conferencing by corporations or institutions of higher learning for training or distance education or virtual communities (except among professionals or scholars)]

  [I have searched Google and find selected Scholarly Web Conferences
but would appreciate nominations from MyWebColleagues. I have also perused the WWW Virtual Library not have not been able to easily identify
Web Conferences]

[ I am also aware of Diane Kovacs ' excellent directory  _Directory of Scholarly and Professional E-Conferences_
[ http://www.n2h2.com/KOVACS/]; which includes e-conferences but not in the sense of truly virtual conference as I view the concept:  "The Directory of Scholarly and Professional E-conferences_ screens, evaluates and organizes discussion lists, newsgroups, MUDS, MOO'S, Muck's, Mushes, mailing lists, interactive Web chat groups etc. (e-conferences) on topics of interest to scholars and professionals for use in their scholarly, pedagological
and professional activities."
[ http://www.n2h2.com/KOVACS/whatis.html#name2]

   For those not acquainted with Web conferencing,  MyWebColleague
(and one of the most gifted and resourceful individuals I know),  Marcus P. Zillman, M.S., A.M.H.A. [Creator/Founder BotSpot.com, CEO BotTechnology.com, Inc., Producer BOT2000 New York, Producer BOT2001 San Francisco, and Executive Producer/Host Internet-101.com Television Show] has provided me with addresses for several resources most notably "Conferencing Software for the Web"
 [ http://thinkofit.com/webconf/index.htm ] created and maintained by David R. Woolley.

  Wooley  [ http://thinkofit.com/whoweare.htm] has been involved with online/Web conferencing for more than  25  years and has written significant publications about Web conferencing [ http://thinkofit.com/pubs.htm]. He has prepared an *excellent* review on "The Future of Web Conferencing"
[ http://thinkofit.com/webconf/wcfuture.htm] that is a MustRead for those interested in any application of Web conferencing .[I would appreciate learning about other key publications on Web conferencing in electronic or non-electronic form]

  As Always, Any and All contributions, comments, queries, questions, cosmic insights, etc. would be Most Welcome.

/Gerry McKiernan
Theoretical Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011