Netscape 6

George Porter george at library.caltech.edu
Mon Nov 20 16:32:47 EST 2000

As the person who introduced the java/javascript holy wars into the mix, I
appreciate Thomas Dowling supplying the figures from The Counter:

"According to www.thecounter.com, 15% of their hits in October showed
javascript disabled; 15% also showed Java to be "unknown," which I take to
mean disabled."

As I noted at the time, we hope to begin collecting data from our user
community in the foreseeable future.  As to Thomas's query:

"How many of us know for certain that no '<a href="javascript...">' links
or forms without submit buttons have creeped into our sites?"

We have consciously avoided introducing ALL such constructs of our own.  We
have been less successful at avoiding the introduction of such devices
through licensed databases and online journals.

George S. Porter
Sherman Fairchild Library of Engineering & Applied Science
Caltech, 1-43
Pasadena, CA  91125-4300
Telephone (626) 395-3409 Fax (626) 431-2681