[WEB4LIB] Re: Netscape 6

Tony Barry me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
Fri Nov 17 22:42:33 EST 2000

At 10:51 AM -0800 17/11/2000, Dan Lester wrote:
>  >From this I must infer that about 90 percent of the pages you view are
>useless and have clueless authors.  Right?

Nope. I think it would be about 2%. Colors and images rarely add to
meaning on the pages I view. Academic, library, government and
newspaper sites mostly

>  I can understand how not loading images
>and sounds saves time, but the tables, colors, and so forth are embedded
>in the HTML and still get sent to you, so why not use them?

I'm mostly on a 28k permanent link. So I save a lot on download time.
Even when I'm on a 10meg link at the university the rendering is
almost instantaneous with IE or NS so I save waiting for that even if
the images come down fast. For the sort of pages I go to, the content
is in the text, and the appearance is incidental to reading it.

I've seen no research but picked up comments that power users often
have images turned off. I've tried it but its a lot clumsier that
using two or three browsers.

Tony
--
phone  +61 2 6241 7659
mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au

On Aboriginal Policy
"And if governments will not act, then this is a matter on which
people must act to secure a government that will.The dignity and
self esteem of Australia at some point will demand it."

Malcolm Fraser 24 Aug 2000