[WEB4LIB] Browser sniffing

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Fri Nov 17 09:09:31 EST 2000

Eric,

Yes, you understand the term correctly.  Typically, the page uses Javascript to
detect the browser version and then render the page depending upon the type and
version of the browser you are using.  You will also see this used at "gateways" to
a site where, depending upon the browser you are using, you will be directed to a
different section of the site that is "optimized" for the type of browser you have -
one version for Netscape, one for IE or one for Flash and one for non-Flash, etc.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI