Thin Client Technology

Tasmin Nyaforh tnyaforh at lawrence.lib.ks.us
Tue Nov 14 08:54:52 EST 2000

Hello Everyone,

Are there any libraries that are using thin client technology for patron internet access?
Our library is thinking about implementing this technology but we have lots of questions.

What vendor are you using?
Do you have resident browsers on the thin client machines? If not, how are you allowing patrons internet access?
Does having the browser on the server for patron access slow down the server activity?
Are you allowing access to streaming videos, MP3 files, real player, etc.?
Are you using Citrix metaframe for connection to the server?
Help!

We have done lots of research but every vendor says a different story.  It would be great to get a library or person that has had success in implementing this technology.

trn

Tasmin R. Nyaforh
Technology Coordinator
Lawrence Public Library