[WEB4LIB] Library web site organization

Tami-Jo M. Eckley eckleyt at mville.edu
Mon Nov 6 14:31:10 EST 2000

In our new website that I am currently creating, we will have a link from our homepage to "Subject Resource Guides".  This page will list subjects (based on our academic curriculum) and will also include "reference" and a "librarians" page.  (I haven't quite got the total design layed out yet).  However, all of the librarians here (includig myself) feel that it is extremely important that all the sources are clearly identified by type (subscription database, public web site, etc...)  All of the librarians here teach a required one credit 7 week course in information literacy and it is always a struggle for the students to understand what a subscription database is, what a web page is, etc.  and it is a requirement in our class that they cite the sources they use so they must be able to identify them.  At the same time, I have found that having the web site resources on different pages causes them to be somewhat ignored.  So, hopefully, these resources will be used more when the new design is implemented.