[WEB4LIB] Web Server Backups

Stephen, Mathew MStephen at library.msstate.edu
Mon Nov 6 11:28:14 EST 2000

In my experience the best backup scheme is to use a removable media such as
a tape drive, cdr, zip disc, etc.. and keep a copy offsite.  This is what I
suggest;
	Full backup over the weekend
	Incremental backups weekdays (backups up only files which have
changed since the last full backup)
	Rotate every two weeks (for a total of 14 tapes, i.e. have "Monday
1" and "Monday 2" tapes.

Using this method you should not experience any downtime while the backups
are running.  I have used Backup Exec and Arcserver for backup software in
the past.

You might also want to explore some of the online file storage options on
the Internet such as http://www.idrive.com

Mathew Stephen
Mississippi State University
Http://library.msstate.edu/