PHP help: array data into select statement

Bob Long bob at esrl.lib.md.us
Mon Nov 6 09:07:59 EST 2000

I don't know if there are any PHP wizards on the list, but I'll throw this
out there on the chance there are.

I would like to be able to collect data from a list of checkboxes and use
that as the basis for a search. Something like this:

<form method="post" action="do_options.php">
<input type="checkbox" name="options[]" value="option1">Option 1
<input type="checkbox" name="options[]" value="option2">Option 2
<input type="checkbox" name="options[]" value="option3">Option 3

<input type="submit" value="Submit">
</form>

The []s cause PHP to put the values from any checked box into an array
named $options.

My question then is how to configure the do_options.php script to put that
array data into a select statement that would ultimately translate into
something like:

"select * from table where options = 'option1' or 'option2' or 'option3'";

The two problems as I see it are, a) as stated above, how to get the data
from the array into a form usable in the select statement and b) how to
loop based on the number of boxes checked so that 'where options ='
contains one, two, or three values.

Any suggestions?

Even if you're doing this is some other language (asp, coldfusion, perl)
I'd be interested in seeing how it's done.

Bob Long, Eastern Shore Regional Library, Inc.
Automation Technical Assistant
410 479 0776	(v)
410 548 5807	(f)
bob at esrl.lib.md.us