[WEB4LIB] RE: Applications of Flash on library web sites...

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Nov 2 10:08:39 EST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nancy Sosna Bohm" <plum at ulink.net>
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <web4lib at webjunction.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2000 1:39 AM
Subject: [WEB4LIB] RE: Applications of Flash on library web sites...

> He's right, of course, and I'm about to stick my foot in it again, but
it's
> late and I can't resist:
> Doesn't "flash encourages gratuitous animation" sound a little too far
> right?

Jakob Nielsen doesn't get paid to offer wishy-washy opinions.

I believe that 99% of all animation on the web is both gratuitous and a
detriment to usability and accessibility, so I have no problem with
criticizing flash for encouraging more of it.  Where a case can be made
that animation is the one best solution to a clearly defined problem, and
where a case can be made that flash is the one best source for that
animation, different rules apply.  But then, that wouldn't be gratuitous.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu