[WEB4LIB] Re: Library web site organization

Tony Barry me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
Thu Nov 2 06:45:13 EST 2000

At 7:28 AM -0800 1/11/2000, Thomas Dowling wrote:
>As Tim may be aware, OhioLINK was recently charged with a web site
>redesign that will include a predominantly subject-oriented view of all
>our resources.  To be honest, I'm not completely satisified with any of
>the subject divisions we've, and I will avoid like the plague the
>inevitable arguments about whether Resource X should go in *this* subject
>or *that* subject or both or neither, and whether Subject Y should be
>presented when we really don't have much to offer there.  If the process
>takes a year (and it might), that will be why.

Maybe we should start to work from an organisation where
intermediaries in the form of librarians decide which subject(s) a
resource goes into, to one where the user community makes the
decision to relate a resource to the subject while rating the
resources. The librarians role bing to manage the subject space
rather than the linkages between the resources/documents and the
subjects.

Increasingly the resources are on the web and known first to the
community rather than the librarians and is if the community which is
best able to judge relevance.

Tony
--
---
phone  +61 2 6241 7659

On Aboriginal Policy
"And if governments will not act, then this is a matter on which
people must act to secure a government that will.The dignity and
self esteem of Australia at some point will demand it."

Malcolm Fraser 24 Aug 2000