[WEB4LIB] Scroling linkable news.

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Nov 7 10:47:33 EST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Veal" <EVeal at mail.ci.lubbock.tx.us>
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <web4lib at webjunction.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2000 9:19 AM
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Scroling linkable news.

> I am looking for a Javascript that will allow me to place vertically
> scrolling news and events in a table cell. I would also like the
> viewer to be able to link to a more detailed story. Any suggestions.

It sounds like you're describing inline frames  They're designed to be
backward compatible, don't require JavaScript, and can be made accessible.
Of course, they're not supported in obsolete browsers like Netscape 4, but
that's where the backward compatibility part comes in...

<iframe src="story-header-with-link-to-fulltext.html"
  title="Election Results">
  <!-- Visible to browser with no IFRAME support -->
  <h3>Election Results</h3>
  Ralph Nader won today's presidential election,
  taking over 300 electoral votes...
</iframe>

(Hypothetical example only.  Your news may vary.)

If, by "vertically scrolling," you mean text that automatically scrolls
with no control by the user, you should consider the accessibility issues
before going ahead
(<URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WAI-WEBCONTENT-19990505/#gl-movement>
discusses this).  I won't be surprised if some JavaScript wizard has a way
to do this, and it has been done to death with Java applets, so there's
code out there to be found if that's the way you want to go.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu